HTML Form List Menu

Our First 116 Years...

On September 25, 1900 a group of concerned Lynbrook citizens met in the quarters of Rescue Hook Ladder and Bucket Company to organize a "Fire Engine Company". The twenty six charter members included representatives of prominent names in the history of both Lynbrook and Nassau County; i.e. Mott, King, Pearsall, Kelsey, Simonson, Abrams, Jackson and Doxsey.


Committees were established to draft a Constitution and petition New York State for incorporation. The new company was to be named:


"Lynbrook Engine Company No. 1"


And it was agreed that the cost of the new engine was not to exceed $250.

On October 18, 1900, A.D. Kelsey was elected the first Foreman with H. G. Hermann as his assistant. Samples of fire hose were reviewed. The first hand drawn Engine and a hose cart were purchased for a total of $200.50.

On October 25, 1900 by-laws were adopted and the first six members were elected into membership. All of members’ wives, daughters and sisters were established as a standing committee responsible for entertainment, refreshments and fund raising. The Articles of Incorporation were accepted and the first three Trustees were elected.

In November of 1900 eleven new members joined bringing the total membership to 43. Hook and Ladder agreed to house the Engine and Hose Cart for a monthly rent of $2. The first fundraiser reaped $186. Four Hundred and fifty feet of cotton hose was purchased at 50 cents per foot.

On December 6, 1900 the new Engine was placed in service. New uniforms at $10.50 each were approved. Eighteen additional new members brought the total compliment to 61 and Engine Company Number One began its service to the residents of Lynbrook.

The minutes of the Corporation having been reviewed disclose the following important facts summarized by each year.



Engine Company joined the Town of Hempstead Volunteer Fireman’s Association. A Well Committee was formed to chart the location of existing wells. H.G. King was elected the second Foreman. A dual committee with Hook and Ladder was formed to create a Department and on 12/12/01 the first Department meeting was held. John Middleton from Truck was elected the Departments’ first chief. Edward Lewis from Engine was elected the first Deputy Chief.

By the end of 1901 the company membership had grown to a total of 68. Edward Valentine was elected the third Foreman.



Officer’s badges were purchased at $2 each. A team of horses was hired to pull the Engine in the Rockville Centre parade. A Ladies Auxiliary was officially formed. A building committee was formed after George Mott donated a plot of land on Atlantic Avenue. The total membership was now 74. E.J. Schmidt was elected the fourth Foreman.



The Company purchased 10 feet of adjourning property on Atlantic Avenue for $100. The Company contracted D.W. Southard to build new quarters on the Atlantic Avenue property. Engine Company joined the Nassau County Fireman’s Association. Edward Bates was elected the fifth Foreman, and the position of Sergeant at Arms was established.



The Company formally objected to the Chief’s order to use the Engine to create a community skating pond. The new building progressed due to the Ladies Auxiliary donation of $500 and a mortgage arrangement with some members for $750. Plans from the quarters of Defender Hose Company were used to begin construction. An Investigation Committee to screen potential members was formed. The membership passed 100.



Engine Company enrolled in the Southern New York Fireman’s Association. Failure to attend the Department drill mandated a 25-cent fine. Edward Bates, of Engine Company, was elected Chief. A subscription drive was started to purchase a new Hose Cart. W.P. Haff was elected as the sixth Foreman.



The new building on Atlantic Avenue cost $1400, of which $900 was mortgaged through several members. A new Hose Cart was purchased for $85. Engine Company hosted its first tournament in June. The cornerstone for the new quarters was laid in September.

Engine Co. No. 1 with their first hand drawn pump in front of their

quarters on Atlantic Av., now the site of Schaefer's Bakery.

A name controversy developed, over adding the words " Hose Co. No. 1" to the corporation. Arthur Ebeling presented a banner so inscribed to the Company. Attorney Sanford Davidson decided the change was too complicated and the matter was dropped. John Lawrence was elected the seventh Foreman.

1906 photo of Engine 1 with the controversial "E. & H. No. 1" on their banner.


The position of Financial Secretary was established. The Company moved into its own quarters on Atlantic Avenue on May 1. The final cost of the building was $1428 including: electric $35, gas $18, water $47 and furniture $31.

A pair of horses was rented for $2 for each parade. The first hall rental for $60 per year was granted to the Daughters of Liberty. Two Foremen were elected this year, William Van Duger in May and John Woods in December. The company roster stood at 113.



A new metal ceiling and a front sidewalk were added to the building. Two fund raisers netted $309. The first piano was purchased for $50. Engine Company assisted with the formation of Hose Company by lending them a Reel Cart for 2 months and 5 members transferred to the new company.

Five hundred feet of new hose was purchased by a merchant/member with reimbursement to be paid in installments. Notices were posted throughout the Village offering $1 to anyone loaning a horse to pull the Engine to a fire. William Ingles was elected Foreman.



Anyone not present at the fire on 12/30/08 was fined 25 cents. The Company refused to pay damages to a citizen whose wagon was struck by the Engine when it was being pulled to a fire.

The Sinking Fund was established and the Trustees’ terms of office were staggered for the first time. George Ebeling was elected Foreman.



Engine Company forgave Hose Company for causing a burst hose line at a fire scene. The first Post Office box was secured. William Ingles was elected Foreman.

Engine Co. No. 1's first motorized fire truck, a 1910 Cadillac. Photo taken in front of Captain Charles Geisler's home.



W.G. Van Dusen was elected the first delegate to the Nassau County Fireman’s Association, A new Engine Committee was formed and the Company considered asking the Village to assume ownership of the apparatus. Two hundred feet of 2 ½" hose was purchased at 60 cents per foot. Decorating deceased members’ graves was instituted. A.C. Thompson was elected Foreman.



The Village assumed ownership of the Company’s Engine and Hose Cart, and the Company requested rent for the first time. A Fire Council was formed and met in Engine Company’s quarters. The annual meeting was changed from December to April. Twelve new hydrants were installed. On October 12th the "Old Church" was totally destroyed by fire.



The Fire Councils’ first requisition gave Engine Company 500’ of new hose. Company quarters were used for Village elections for the first time. The first Department memorial service was held at Christ Church and the Council approved a new fire alarm system with eight districts. The Company was asked to host the Southern New York Volunteers Parade and Tournament in 1914. A Junior Fire Company was formed.

Percey Biglin was elected Foreman for six months followed by Frank Weldon.



The first motorized Hose Wagon was approved for $800, which was borrowed from the Lynbrook National Bank. Village rent was set at $100 per year.



The new Hose Wagon was struck by a taxi while backing into quarters injuring one member. Four chauffeurs were appointed and only 4 members could ride on the Hose Wagon to and from fires. The Village approved $12,000 for the purchase of the new Garford pumper. A truck, rather than using a horse, was rented to transport the apparatus to Oyster Bay. A wood stove was purchased to heat the engine room and Charles Geisler was elected Foreman.



The new Garford pumper was delivered and placed into service. The hand drawn pumper was given to the Nassau County Fireman’s Association. A Building Committee was established to either alter the existing building or build another. The last payment of $25 was made on the mortgage. The original Hose Reel cart was put on display in Greenlawn Park.



The Fire Council changed the title of Foreman to Captain and Assistant Foreman to Lieutenant. Charles Geisler was elected the first Captain. Engine Company had six members enter WW I and they were exempted from duty. After persons unknown damaged the apparatus the Village Board could not repair it until back taxes were collected.



For the second time Engine Company submitted names for all three Chief positions. The Village Board approved the purchase of a new Hose Wagon. The first stencil "Engine Company #1" was purchased to label equipment.



After the Department rejected the concept of a central firehouse, various sites were reviewed for a possible move of the Company’s quarters. The Council passed a resolution " if Engine Company lays hose from a hydrant, no other Company will connect to same ". The original hand pumper was sold for "junk" and the annual fair returned $486.



The first pool table was purchased with the Company to receive 5 cents per game if money was involved. When Nassau County announced plans to widen Atlantic Avenue, The Company reactivated the Building Committee.

1920 Garfield 500 Gallon Pumper with a 2 stage pump


The first Department installation dinner was held at the Five Corners Hotel. After considerable discussion The Company voted to renovate the current building. Plans to move to Carpenter Avenue or 162 Atlantic Avenue were rejected especially since the Civic League complained to the Village Board that the firehouse should no longer be in the commercial zone.



A Truck Committee presented specifications to the Village Board for a Locomobile Hose Wagon.



The Locomobile "Tender", basically for tournaments, was placed in service at a cost of $661. The Garford required painting and repair.



Engine Company decided to move. The Carpenter Avenue site was selected and the selling price of Atlantic Avenue was $17,500.



The Combs brothers received the contract to construct the new firehouse. The corner stone was laid on 5/26/25. Inside the cornerstone was a copper box containing a list of all the members at that time. The Company moved to Carpenter Avenue in August.



The Village was advised the Garfords’ pump and motor needed major overhaul.



An Ahrens - Fox 1000 gpm pumper was approved by the Village Board, ordered and delivered in August. An oil burner was installed. Fifty-two members responded to 39 fires during the year. A direct telephone line to Police headquarters was installed.

1927 Ahrens-Fox Fire Truck in photo taken in 1955.



The Lynbrook Emergency Relief Squad was organized and Engine Company contributed 4 men. The Garford Engine was given to the Village who assigned it to the Street Department of the Department of Public Works.



The Rescue Squad truck was relocated to Engine Company’s’ quarters. Calls increased to 46.



The Gamewell Fire Alarm system was installed throughout the Village. A famous clock was relocated from Sunrise Highway and Atlantic Avenue to the front of Engine Company’s quarters. The Company attended the Coney Island parade for the first time. The Lynbrook Fire Department Benevolent Association was formed.



The Fox received an electric siren and all the couplings were chrome plated.



The Chiefs trumpet from Chief Dolbear was presented to the Company. The Department Examining Board was created.



The leaks in the north wall persisted. A concrete was installed behind the truck room.



To help recruiting the initiation fee was reduced to $3 from $10. The Collins brothers on Vincent Avenue repainted the Fox.



The north wall was waterproofed. Two recruitment teams increased membership to 38.



The leak persisted despite more waterproofing, sandblasting and more stucco. Nassau County divided departments into Battalions.



The leak was traced to the roof and repaired. Engine Company suggested the formation of a Drum and Bugle Corps. The basic card was established as a prerequisite to be a Line Officer.



New glass was installed in the clock at a cost of $9.50.



A windshield is installed on the Fox.



Dues were waived for members entering the service, and money in lieu of meeting refreshments was donated to the Red Cross and War Stamp program. The steam whistle was donated to the "Defense Council". Chief Ellsworth Ogden invited the Fourth Battalion chiefs to the Department Installation. New overhead doors were installed.



World War II efforts continued; lower age limit reduced to 18, two $500 Defense Bonds purchased, air raid signals developed and goggles and gloves issued for use if incendiary bombs should be dropped.



Engine Company recommended to the Department that a Blood Bank be established. The first bar was built on the second floor.



Fifteen members were in the Armed Forces. Al Hart returned after flying 60 missions over Germany. The Position of Fire Aid was established, and a driver’s checklist was developed.



Ex Captains’ insignia was authorized by the Company and Department. The Village authorized three new trucks for Hose, Tally Ho and Truck. The Company roster reached the maximum, which prompted a review of each member’s status.



Ex Chief Raymond "Bucky" Abrams died after a fall from a truck in Elmont. He was the first line of duty death. The initiation fee was changed to $5. The first pre-emptor was installed.



Wives and relatives of members formed a Ladies Auxiliary. The Department created the Ways and Means committee to coordinate fund raising.



A new electric siren was installed in the Fox.



Engine Company initiated formal Company Fire training twice per month. Blue lights were allowed to be installed on private cars.



Engine Company re-incorporated for another fifty years on July 6. The original incorporation date was 2/5/1901.



A Fiftieth Anniversary Dinner was held in quarters at a cost of $907. Telephone poles were painted to indicate hydrant locations.



A new truck committee was formed.



Engine Company initially voted to purchase another Ahrens - Fox. A water leak into the oil after each pump usage reversed the decision. The first clambake was held in July and the Company asked Council to approve one flag for each company during parades. The Lynbrook School District expressed interest in acquiring Engine Company’s’ property.



Engine Company permanently reduced the age requirement to 18. Company voted to purchase a new Engine with a piston pump, but there were some questions on the reliability of Ahrens - Fox service. A two - way radio was installed in the Fox.



The Mack Company was the sole bidder for the proposed new engine. They delivered a new 1000 gpm pumper in July. The Crestwood Diary burned 2 months after the new pumper was placed in service. Chiefs and Ex Chiefs were granted Life Member status by the Department. Scott Air Paks replaced Chemox and MSA filter masks. A new Tournament team staffed by a number of Engine Company members ran their first tournament in East Rockaway. Arthur Stickelman replaced Wilfred Combs as custodian, and a Building Committee was appointed to renovate the firehouse.

1955 Mack Pumper


1955 Truck Dedication -  From Left to right is 2nd. Lt. Joe Reid, 2nd Dep. Chief John Thurman,

Chief Al Hart, Truck Committee Chairman Bill Scheining, Capt. Karl Thuge, 1st Asst. Chief Reggie Pilling, 1st Lt. Bill Koehler. 



The Marie Antoinette Bakery and 12 other stores were leveled during a pre-dawn multiple alarm fire. The Lynbrook Library custodian was arrested for a series of arson / burglary fires, including the Library. The School Districts’ threat to annex Engine Company’s’ property results in all renovations being suspended indefinitely.



The old clock was refurbished, including new glass. Engine Company proposed the establishment of a Third Deputy Chief. The inter company Tournament was re - established.



Engine Company revamped its’ entire By-laws. Ex Chief Al Hart was the Kiwanis Clubs’ Man of the Year, for leading the Department through a series of major alarms. Eastman Kodak photographed the Lynbrook Fire Department apparatus from the roof of 381 Sunrise Highway to demonstrate the color red. The Department Alarm Committee began to consider a silent alarm system, radio versus telephone.



Despite valiant efforts by Engine Company a women died in a house fire on Doxsey Place. A building Fund was created to support planned renovations. The first clambake to supplement the building fund was held. An architect was hired to coordinate the renovations. A new Company application form was created making the proposer more responsible.



Engine Company asks the Fire Council to upgrade the Village water delivery system. The Department recommends forming a Fire Police Unit.



The renovations to the firehouse were contracted to Werner Aue for $15,000. A revolving blue light was added to the apparatus. The death of Second Deputy Chief Ray Guiliano resulted in Karl Thuge being elected to the position of Second Deputy.



Major renovations to the firehouse were primarily completed in 3 months. The new kitchen was scorched when chef William Mooney left to refuel the apparatus. The Tally Ho siren was moved to the D.P.W. yard and then replaced with an air horn. "Time signals" at 7 A.M. and 6 P.M., with the air horns, were discontinued. The Gamewell boxes were replaced with 170 telephone boxes. Engine Company suggested to Council that an Officer be permitted to replace an absent Council Member.



On April 30th, a tragic accident between the apparatus of Engine Company and Tally Ho resulted in the untimely deaths of crossing Guard Rosalie Roy and Engine Company members William Koch, Peter Moody and Joseph Fischer. All three members lived on Marion Street. Captain Clint Pearsall declared 90 days of official mourning. Chief Thuge arranged for a 1941 pumper to be assigned to Engine Company from Bay Shore, which was later purchased by the Village for $1. Despite the tragic deaths four new young men joined the Company in June. A memorial cabinet was constructed to honor the four members killed in the line of duty.

Associate Members were added to assist the Company. A new 20-inch water main was installed throughout the Village. The Department issued new badges with numbers 100-199 assigned to Engine Company.



A new Mack pumper was delivered, complete with a closed cab, automatic transmission and white top. The white top was eventually rejected by the Department and painted red. The Company approved funds and plans to extend the first floor of the firehouse.

1964 Mack Pumper



A new radio alerting system was installed with 2-2-2 being sounded on the air horns for all general alarms. William Ward was elected Trustee Emeritus. The "Leg Trophy" game between Defenders and Engine was inaugurated. A house committee replaced the custodian.



The School Board and the Company began discussions to exchange property to enable the school to expand. H.C. Schweitzer and John Sealy became 50-year members.



The back room was completed and a patio and storage shed were approved. The Woolworth fire brought many neighboring Departments to assist.



Five members of the Levy family perished in a smoky fire in their Bixley Heath home. Construction began on a Fire Department Headquarters building. A dedication plague for the Company’s deceased members was approved.



Although Engine Company and the School Board agree on a property trade, the voters defeated the proposition. The new Fire Department Headquarters building was dedicated. The Company replaced the heating system with a new oil burner. The bar chit system was introduced; a Historical Committee and the 75th Anniversary Committee were established.



Engine Company assisted trapped tenants during a smoky fire at 381 Sunrise Highway. Rupp Chevrolet suffered a major fire in August. The northeast corner of Hempstead Avenue and Merrick Road was totally destroyed by two fast moving fires, which occurred within 12 hours of each other. Engine Company operated for 14 hours. The Fire Council approved the repainting of the cab roof back to white.



The "White Top" wet down was held in April. A request by the Village to donate the clock was refused. Fires in McLeans and Marguerites tax the Company for 2 days. The first Christmas Cocktail party was held.



The new "Pub style" bar complete with an "Over the Hill Gang" sign was authorized and completed. The Department authorized 46.20 as a secondary frequency. Engine Company put forth an extensive effort to get William Cosenza elected Third Deputy Chief, after a secretarial omission left his name off the ballot.



The first Super Bowl party was held. A waiting list was established due to the large number of new members. A Company banner with the motto of "We Lead" was purchased.



Dial telephones enabled fire companies to call each other directly without the use of the Police switchboard.



The Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Parade and Drill, Convention and Dinner were each a rousing success, accomplished through extensive planning and countless man and women hours by Company, Auxiliary and family members. The weeks’ activities became a guideline for future functions. 170 guests attended the 75th Ball at the Coral House. A Charles Street woman died in her home during an early morning fire. Frank Woods was named the Schaeffer Fireman of the Year.



Engine Company considers expanding the second floor over the bar. A Truck committee was formed to replace the Mack.



The new annual dues are approved after 4 months of debate. Extension plans for the second floor were shelved in favor of renovating the second floor. The renovation cost $17,000 and was completed in 4 months by contractor William Frost. A new parquet floor was purchased through the generosity of Frank Woods’ bequest of $5,000. The Company changed to Roberts Rules for meeting structure and changed the date the officers assume office from May to April. 1 ¾ " was introduced as a pre connected attack line. George Weiler reached fifty years of service, and Captain Cit Kovic posted the first set of parking rules for members.



Two huge snowstorms forced standbys of 18 and 40 hours. A lightening strike during a mutual aid to Hewlett narrowly missed seriously injuring Robert Hurwitz and Ricky Miller. Engine Company terminated the agreement with the election board. William Ward becomes an Honorary Chief upon reaching his 50th Anniversary. The Department reduced the telephone call boxes to 88 due to increased cost. The Department issued decals to all of the members to identify their cars due to the gasoline shortage.



After extensive discussions the By-laws, which governed the procedures for charges and trials, were amended. The Company agreed to supervise the Tournament course during Hook and Ladders 100th Anniversary Drill. The Junior Fire Department was created. The Village received five bids for the new pumper. "Fire Com" was introduced as a back up dispatch system.



The cost of a new apparatus is estimated at $130,000, an Oren body on a Kenworth chassis. Engine Company was issued the first portable transceiver. The Ex - Captains plague was purchased and installed, the Ladies Auxiliary donated half the cost. The Trustees were empowered to sell the clock.



Thomas Sharp, Raymond Schweitzer and Jack White became Honorary Chiefs as they attain fifty years of service. Joseph Rice was the first Junior Fireman to enter the company’s’ ranks. Engine Company voted to keep the Mack as a spare engine.

The first Tower Ladder, 427, and a new Floodlight Truck were delivered and placed into service by the department. New 4.5 Scott Paks replaced existing masks.



Cable TV was installed. The Grumman Corporation was awarded the bid to build the new Engine.



The Twentieth Anniversary of the three members’ line of duty deaths was remembered by a memorial service.

A gasoline tanker floods Sunrise and Peninsula and the surrounding storm drains with thousands of gallons of gasoline, narrowly averting a disaster.

A soda gun replaces bottles and cans, and a quarry tile floor was installed in the bar. The Company establishes policies to send a telegram to any Department member attaining twenty-five years of service, put aside money each month for Special Installation Dinners, and appoints two Chauffeurs of the Month. The new Grumman Pumper catches fire on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, while being delivered, and is destroyed. The Mack experiences serious pump and transmission troubles and is out of service for an extended time.



1984 Grumman Pumper

A new flagpole is erected. Mary Ellen Calogero became Engine Company’s’ and Lynbrook’s’ first female firefighter. The second Grumman Pumper was delivered and placed into service. The Mack became the first Department Spare as unit 4210. New York State approved the pre-emptor at Broadway and Sunrise Highway, and the Department formed a Haz-Mat team.



The wet down for the new Grumman Engine was held in April. The Clock was sold to a Brookville resident. The Department issued its first uniform patch and "911" was added to the alarm system.



The Ahrens Fox was located, purchased and returned to Lynbrook. Truck Company agreed to house it rent-free. The steam whistle or Monahan’s Bull was returned to the Company. A Golf Outing committee was formed.

Despite Joe Rices’ personal valiant efforts, a worker drowned at a construction site cave-in.



A new garage for the Fox is begun, but temporarily put on hold until spring. Pagers were issued, the Instalerts were to be phased out and the Air Horns were silenced. Fire Com became the primary dispatcher and Engine Company led the criticism of slower time for the alerting of alarms.



The Fox building was completed, and the Fox was returned to quarters on 10/10/88. Restoration plans began, which were to be supported through fund raising, initially selling chances at Harrows during the holidays.

History was made as six Engine Company members; Robert CitKovic, Anthony Kenny, Robert Magnussen, Lawrence Meyers, William Myers and William Quinn all celebrated Twenty Five years of service.

The five-inch hose controversy begins. SCBA rectification was inaugurated and a cascade system was purchased. Primary dispatching was moved back to the Police Department.



A Fire Medic program was established and Engine Company accepted the first two members. The old Mack was scrapped. The Ahrens Fox restoration was started after Neale MacCarn offered to repaint each dissembled part. Funding for the Fox continued at Harrows.



New motorized overhead doors were installed. Fox restoration efforts were moved to MacCarn’s Auto Body shop. Santa visited the children’s ward at South Nassau Hospital. The Benevolent Association expanded benefits to include an eyeglass plan.



The Fox was primed and re-chromed aided by a $5000 New York State grant. Bunker gear was tested.



The Emergency Medical Company became the sixth company of the Lynbrook Fire Department, Engine Company transferred five members to support the new company. With a new starter the Fox became mobile. The Stanley Cup Pool replaced Harrows’ chances as the main Fox fund raiser. The Athens, PA. Fire Company visited with Bob Magnussen and was treated to five fire calls.



A special memorial service marking the 30th Anniversary of Engine Company’s triple loss was held. The first golf outing was held at Mount Air Lodge. The Fox was enhanced with a new rear step, running boards and a dashboard courtesy of Butch Myers. Replacement windows were installed throughout the building. The position of Sergeant at Arms was reinstated. All members were required to take Blood Borne Pathogen training. The Village passed the Service Award Program. Extensive stress cracks caused 421 to be out of service for repair for two months, the Company responded using a borrowed Engine.



The Fox restoration was basically complete and it is driven in the Memorial Day parade. Neale MacCarn was made an Honorary Member on 11/3/94, for all his work on the Fox. Neale and his son, Kenneth, were killed in a plane crash on 11/5/94.

The Father Thomas Sinnot Memorial Trophy was established by the Benevolent. Two snowstorms in March resulted in extensive stand bys. Enhanced 911 was installed in the Village and 46.30 was added as a fire ground frequency. Five-inch hose was added to Vulcan and Hose companies.



A 100th Anniversary Committee was formed. The electric door for unit 425 was replaced. The Company was first due at fires in 200 Atlantic Avenue and 570 Broadway. A December blizzard results in a two-day stand by. A new Fire Police Unit was formed.



Emil Kallenbrunnen was made an Honorary Chief of the Department. The Company, the Fox and Emil were featured on a Channel 12 News special. The Steam Whistle was donated to the Lynbrook Historical Society. A winter storm resulted in a two-day stay in quarters.

Karl Thuge reached fifty years of service and donated the gold leafing for the Fox. Merrick Road Collision completed final painting of the Fox.

Fire Com assumed all dispatching duties. Severe storms have the Company respond to 14 alarms in one day.



New siding was installed on the firehouse. Lieutenant Michael Hynes was named Elks Fireman of the Year, for actions at a fire in Brooklyn. Bunker gear began to replace traditional turnout coats and boots.



Department physical exams were mandated. The 35th anniversary of the tragic accident was commemorated at a ceremony. The Gamewell telegraph box, tape and gong were restored for display. Members were issued new enhanced pagers. Dispatching was once again returned to the Lynbrook Police with the installation of an enhanced 911 system. For the first time our second bay is occupied by something other than a rescue vehicle, as the Fire Police vehicle is relocated to Carpenter Avenue.

A Labor Day tornado resulted in an eighteen-hour response of the Company and Department answering 87 alarms. The Ahrens Fox was formally "wet down" and the event was dedicated to Neale and Kenneth MacCarn.

A committee was formed to write specifications for a new Apparatus.



Honorary Chief Emil Kallenbrunnen passes away. The 100th Anniversary Committee finalizes its’ plans. With a company effort the maintenance room, hose closet and office are rebuilt and modernized. The Executive committee begins plans to modify the front the firehouse with new doors to accommodate a new Engine.



Engine Company No. 1 celebrated their 100th Anniversary with the 4th Battalion Parade and Old Fashioned Drill, along with a week long Carnival at Greis Park.



New Department Medical Policy became effective. New single overhead garage door installed on our quarters. Santo "Sam" Fischetto became an Honorary Chief in in honor of his 50 years of service.



Engine Company, being the first in at the tragic 30 Doxsey Place fire, assisted in evacuating 150 residents and led in fire suppression efforts. The Department receives a County Citation for their efforts. Engine 1 mourned the loss of Ex-Chief William Quinn.



The firehouse bay area was refurbished in contemplation of the new pumper's delivery.


Eldert Street was renamed "Quinn's Way"

Fortieth Anniversary of the 1963 loss of three members was well attended. Thomas Commerford was honored for his 50 years of Service to Engine 1 and the LFD and was made an Honorary Chief. .

New 1500 g/p/m Seagrave Pumper is placed into service. Rev. Robert Arnold dies. Department places new pagers in service utilizing a new independent frequency.



All trucks receive "no smoke" exhaust systems. Joseph Rice elected as Captain and David Pearsall is elected Chief of the Department. Ex Chief William Cosenza is named Honorary Fire Commissioner, having served 50 years in Engine Company. Engine 1's second floor undergoes extensive renovations including the addition of air conditioning. Job will take 8 month of extensive company activity.



Nicholas Pearsall elected Captain and became the first third-generation family member to have this honor. Michael Kenny completes 25 years of service. Engine Co. is "first in" to battle the fire at Truck Co. Quarters on April 22nd. The unfortunate fire eventually led to the demolition of the original 1894 section of their quarters. Engine 1 is saddened by the passing of Honorary Chief Santo Fischetto. Ex. Captain Joseph Rice receives the Town of Hempstead Firematic Award for assisting in saving an infant's life.



Engine Company congratulated by Chiefs for their performance at B.K. Sweeney's and 76 Buckingham Pl. fires. Paul Langer, life member, passed away at his Florida retirement home. Ex-Chief Karl Thuge celebrates 60 years in the fire service. Each Company receives a thermal imaging camera. Ex-Chief Bill Cosenza received the Lynbrook-East Rockaway Rotary Club's Lifetime Achievement Award. Lt. Chris Kelly is lauded for his rescue of a Horton Avenue family before the arrival of the Fire department.



April, 2007- Christopher Kelly was elected Captain and was promptly cited by the Hartford Insurance Company for his heroic rescue efforts on Horton Avenue. Robert Occhipinti was elected as Chief Engineer of the Lynbrook Fire Department. The company mourned the loss of Honorary Chief & Ex-Captain Thomas Commerford.

August, 2007- Robert Occhipinti, John O'reilly and Joseph Rice are feted upon reaching 25 years of service.



Fox Room completely renovated. St. Patrick's Day was celebrated by a first-in rapid stop of a kitchen fire on Smith Street. For a bonus, all four family dogs were rescued John O'Reilly succeeds Robert Occhipinti as Chief of the Department. Captain Christopher Kelly and Lieutenants Thomas Kelly and Bryan Martini are re-elected for a second term. Computer generated " Red Alert" system is installed in every firehouse. The 45th anniversary of the 1963 tragic accident was marked by memorial services.



25 Years of Service- Firefighter  Mary Ellen Calogero was the first female to join the Lynbrook FD.  She entered the Department in August 1984. Firefighter Andrew Dunn has celebrated 25 years service.

Captain Thomas Kelly is starting his second term as Captain.  He was elected to his first term as Captain in April 2009.



The backroom renovation was approved with a new bar and a large flat screen television.   A Get-Away Weekend celebrating the Company’s 110th was held at Villa Roma.  Thomas Kelly is re-elected Captain of Engine Company.  Following the Department Elections, Edward Hynes is voted 3rd Deputy Chief.  For the first time in the Department’s History two brothers were elected as Chief, and to serve con-currently.


All Companies are issued a Thermal Imaging Camera.  A “Spill Kit” was installed on the apparatus. Members wishing to subscribe, were able to take advantage of a “Red Alert System” which provided cell phone alerting for calls and information transmission for the Department.  Due to his tragic and untimely passing, Michael Kirby was made an Honorary Captain on August 19th.



At the Department Elections Michael J. Hynes was voted in as the 91st Chief Engineer of the Lynbrook Fire Department. Bryan Martini is Elected as Captain of the Company, serving the Company for one year. On January 12th the Company passed the final plans to modernize the backroom, investing just short of $90,000. The New Backroom was completed and ready as Chief Hynes took Office. Serious blizzard conditions forced 3 standbys this winter.

Fire Fighter Michael Kenny was Named Town of Hempstead Fireman of the Year.  Ex-Chief Karl Thuge was presented with his Honorary Commissioner Badges at the October Meeting.  Engine Company Members received praise for their aggressive work during the extinguishment of the fire at The Veterans of Foreign War.  Engine Company was in response to another sounded alarm, when the alert crew noticed the fire. The Company Mourned the Passing of Life Members Richard “Butch” Myers and Richard “Ricky” Miller.




The role of Company Secretary was split into the new positions of Recording & Corresponding Secretaries.  The position of Sergeant @ Arms was eliminated. James Maxwell was elected Captain of Engine Company, serving the Company one year.  SuperStorm Sandy hits Long Island on Sunday October 28th, causing major flood and wind damages throughout the area. Engine Company was on standby during the Storm.  Following the Storm the Company spends time in East Rockaway, Island Park and Long Beach helping their neighboring Departments as they recovered from the Storm.  Rather than hosting their usual Christmas Party for the Department, Engine Company provides a gathering for East Rockaway’s firefighters and their families. It was overwhelmingly well received. At year’s end, Ex-Chief Bill Cosenza sets a new record for calls in a calendar year with 1515. The Company mourned the passing of Honorary Captain Paul Pearsall.  



At the Department Elections Edward J. Hynes was voted in as the 93rd Chief Engineer of the Lynbrook Fire Department. Nicholas Pearsall was elected 47th Captain of Engine Company. This is the second time this Third Generation Firefighter served as Captain. On Sunday April 28th Engine Company, along with 140 Members and Guest Honorees remembered the tragic passing of William Koch, Peter Moody and Joseph Fischer who died in the line of duty 50 years ago. Thanks to the organized efforts of the Recruitment Committee, led by Ex-Captain Chris Kelly, Membership in the Company steadily improves. Walter Fitzer was named the Village of Lynbrook’s Man of the Year. At Engine Company’s Installation Dinner, the Company Celebrated the Fifty Years of Service of Honorary Commissioner Robert Citkovic and Honorary Chiefs Larry Meyers, William Myers, & Robert Magnussen. Honorary Commissioner Karl Thuge celebrated his 70th Year of Service.



Michael Kenny was recognized as the 2014 Town of Hempstead Fireman of the Year for administering CPR and saving the life of an infant while on a flight.  An exceptionaIly heavy snowfall caused severa I stand-bys. Engine Company converted to 5" supply hose line from the previously used 3".  Walter Fitzer celebrated his fifty years of as a Member of Engine Company & The Lynbrook Fire Department. Walter was promoted to Honorary Chief.  Michael Hynes and Michael Kostyra both celebrated their twenty-five years of as a Member of Engine Company & The Lynbrook Fire Department.


William "Bucky''Abrams was successfully elected Third Deputy Chief. Nicholas Pearsall was elected Captain for a third consecutive term. He is the first Captain to obtain this accomplishment. The Village saw fire hydrants begin to be repainted red and white.



Nicholas Pearsall is nominated and is successfully elected as Third Deputy Chief. William Abrams is elected as Second Deputy Chief. Christopher Kelly is elected for a second term as Captain of Engine Company.A new high band radio frequency and portable radios have been installed. In January, a two day blizzard caused members to be on stand-by for two days. Valentine’s Day saw the Company first due for a fire that took three hours to extinguish a major house fire at the corner of Scranton & Broadway. A new Department policy requires a yearly physical for all members each June.Ex-Chief and Associate Member James McDermott unexpectedly died in August, Lynbrook Fire Department’s Head Quarter’s was later re-named in his Honor.  New Department Probationary Members will face a new requirement of a Power Point Presentation and quiz. The year ended on a somber note for the Company as 50 Year Member , Honorary Chief & Ex-Captain William Myers passed away during the Christmas Holidays.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Engine Company No. 1, Lynbrook Fire Department.  All rights reserved.
Revised: 14 Aug 2017 08:32:08 -0400