ASP Web Pro

Fish Tank Causes House Fire

Story & photos by  Ex Captain Steven Grogan

A fish tank light in the basement of a house on Dunne Place in Lynbrook caused a fire on Monday morning, October 3, 2016.

Lynbrook firefighters under the command of Third Assistant Chief Nick Pearsall responded to 24 Dunne Place shortly before 10:30 AM for a reported "smoke in the house."  Upon the Chief's arrival he immediately broadcast a "Signal 10" for a working fire as smoke billowed out a side door. 

Vulcan Company was first on the scene, quickly followed by Truck Company.  Vulcan dropped two lines at the house and proceeded to a hydrant up the block.  Vulcan firefighters assisted by Engine Company members took a line into the basement through the heavy smoke and heat. 

"Basement fires are the most dangerous for firefighters as the staircase becomes a chimney for the heat and smoke and firefighter must go down into it to fight the fire,"said Chief Pearsall.

As the first line fought the fire in the basement, a second line, manned by Engine Company and Hose Company members, was brought up for backup.  Truck Company members also went into the basement and took out the windows to ventilate the basement.  The plastic top of the fish tank was found ablaze with the fire extending to the wall behind the tank. 

In the meantime, Chief Pearsall, through the Floodlight Unit's Command Post, requested the assistance of the East Rockaway Fire Department which sent a "Fast Team" to the scene and the Valley Stream Fire Department which stood-by to cover other Lynbrook alarms. The Emergency Medical Company was also at the scene but there were no injuries. 

The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes but Lynbrook firefighters were at the scene for nearly two hours. 

Bookmark and Share


Copyright © 2016 Lynbrook Fire Department. All rights reserved.

Your internet consultant