By Ex-Captain Steve
1929, as a community service, Dr
Brodigan, a Lynbrook physician, got
together with Sol Cohen, a pharmacist at
the Atlantic Pharmacy, and put a
respirator owned by the doctor in a
station wagon. Along with a few Lynbrook
volunteer firefighters, they traveled
throughout the village to residents that
requested some type of first aid.
Eventually, the Lynbrook Volunteer Fire
Department took over the operation of
the “Emergency Relief Squad,” or Rescue
Squad as it was commonly known.
The Rescue Squad purchased its first
vehicle, a canvas covered Mack
ambulance, in 1937.
After the purchase of the ambulance
more volunteers from the five all-ready
established fire companies in Lynbrook
began spending additional time with the
Rescue Squad beyond their firefighting
duties. The Lynbrook volunteers
even traveled to New York City to
receive advanced first-aid training from
the New York City Police Department’s
Emergency Services Unit.
In the late 1970’s the Emergency Medical
Services, as we know it today, was born
in California and spread eastward.
In the late 70’s and early 80’s,
problems began affecting the Rescue
Squad’s daily operations as new mandated
rules and regulations from the New York
State Department of Health went into
affect. Those new rules and
regulations ordered that Rescue Squad
members had to have formal State
certified training to ride on an
ambulance. The effect of the new rules
causes an immediate and critical drop in
the number of available and trained
member to respond to medical emergencies
in Lynbrook and throughout the state.
Remember, they are ALL VOLUNTEERS.
Cadillac Ambulance & 1970's Ford Rescue
To solve this problem, the Lynbrook
Fire Department instituted a Firemedic
program to attract new members to the
Rescue Squad. The By-Laws of the
Lynbrook Fire Department at that time
required that candidates for membership
to the fire department had to join one
of the five fire companies then in
operation. After a one year
probationary period as a firefighter a
member could then apply to also work
with the Rescue Squad part-time.
The five fire companies then opened
their vacant membership roles to
residents who wanted to join the
department, but not to fight fires, but
to be medical technicians that would
operate the department’s ambulances.
These new members, after formal medical
and emergency training, would respond to
all rescue and ambulance calls for the
Lynbrook Fire Department.
In 1990, the active Firemedic program
for the Rescue Squad had grown to 18 New
York State Certified Emergency Medical
Technicians, Critical Care Technicians,
and Paramedics. The
Firemedics then took the next step and
voted to form their own company.
On September 23, 1991, some 112 years
after the first fire company was formed
in Lynbrook, and 62 years after Dr
Brodigan started responding to first aid
calls in his station wagon, the
Emergency Medical Company No. 1, the
fire department’s sixth company, was
born. Their first elected captain
was George “Buddy” Wilson, a former
member of Engine Company No. 1.
With the formation of the new Emergency
Medical Company, the Rescue Squad no
longer existed and all of its equipment
was turned over to the new company to
help them get started. The new
company, as in the past, borrowed space
from Hose Company on Blake Avenue, and
from Engine Company on Carpenter Avenue,
where the two Rescue Squad ambulances
had been garaged for years. The
new company then set up a storage area
in Fire Headquarters on Wright Avenue to
store their expanding medical equipment.
The Medical Company then began the task
of finding their own quarters..
They first rented a warehouse on Vincent
Avenue, just North of Sunrise Highway,
and began looking for property to buy.
One piece of property they found was a
vacant lot on Forest Avenue on the
corner of Randall Avenue. They
went ahead and had drawings done for the
building of a new firehouse. The
dream of a new firehouse did not last
long, however, after the location was
turned down by the Village of Lynbrook.
Nearby residents spoke out against an
active medical company firehouse in
With the denial of the use of the
property on Forest Avenue, the company
went back to the idea of purchasing the
warehouse they were using on Vincent
Avenue. The membership decided on
purchasing the warehouse as there was no
other property available in and around
the center of the village.
In 2001, the Medical Company made
history being the first company in the
Lynbrook Fire Department to have an all
female slate of line officers.
December 2002, the Medical Company
finally purchased the warehouse on
Vincent Avenue with their own money that
they had raised through fund raisers and
other events and sales. Over the
past year the members have been
renovating the warehouse to make more
suitable for use as quarters for a very
busy medical fire company.
The Medical Company, the primary
emergency medical services provider for
the Incorporated Village of Lynbrook,
recently celebrated its 12th
anniversary. It has about 25
members and operates two New York State
Certified Advanced Life Support
ambulances, with the most current and
up-to-date equipment available.
The ambulances almost bring the
emergency room to your door with members
trained in CPR, advanced first-aid
techniques and cardiac monitoring,
defibrillation, intravenous therapy,
cardiac drug therapy, and advanced
airway maintenance techniques.
On November 16, 2003, the renovated
Emergency Medical Company firehouse on
Vincent Avenue was dedicated with a
ribbon cutting ceremony. The
Lynbrook Fire Department’s sixth and
last company will now have an official
home of their own.
The Lynbrook Fire Department’s Emergency
Medical Co. responds to approximately
1400 calls each year for medical
assistance in the Village of Lynbrook.
Residents and others who have used their
services know that they have surely
earned the motto of “The Busiest and the
2013 Lynbrook Fire Department. All
29 Aug 2013 06:04:35 -0500