ASP Web Pro

Lynbrook F.D. Battles Stubborn Diner Fire

Story by Ex-Captain  Steve Grogan; Photos by Brian Grogan

 

Lynbrook firefighters fought a stubborn fire in the ceiling and roof of the Lynbrook Diner on Sunrise Highway on Monday evening, January 13, 2014.   Firefighters, under the command of Chief Edward Hynes, were called out at 11:15 PM for a report of smoke inside the diner located at 401 Sunrise Highway on the corner of Randall Avenue.  

When Chief Hynes arrived on the scene he ordered  the first arriving engine to take the nearest hydrant and supply hose lines.  When firefighters only found light smoke inside the building they fanned out and began removing ceiling tiles to locate the reason for the smoke.  When the multiple layered ceiling above the front door area was opened fire was found moving from the front into the dining area.   Meanwhile,  Engine Company 1, who was first on the scene, and had taken the hydrant on the corner of Randall Avenue and Shipherd Avenue, stretched three hose lines from their engine with the help of the other three arriving fire companies.  One line was quickly moved inside and attacked the flames as it was spreading in the ceiling. 

Truck Company, with their tower ladder  parked in the front of the building, moved firefighters to the roof.  Their second ladder was in the back of the building.  Firefighters  on the roof then opened the roof with axes and saws.  When the roof was opened flames rose high out of the opening.   When firefighters inside fighting the fire in the ceiling could not get through the many multiple layers of ceiling and roofing to totally extinguish the fire, a second line was taken to the roof and was able to put the fire out on the roof.

The Floodlight's Command Post was in operation during the fire and the Medical Company stood-by in case anyone was injured.   Luckily, there were no injuries.

Lynbrook had the assistance of the Rockville Centre Fire Department who sent a ladder to the scene while East Rockaway sent their Rescue vehicle.   Malverne and Rockville Centre also had units standing -by to cover additional calls in Lynbrook.

The fire, which was stopped  over the entrance area before it spread throughout the building, was under control in about 30 minutes but firefighters were on the scene for about 90 minutes.  Damage was put at approximately $50,000.   The fire was believed caused by an electrical problem with the neon lights on the front of the building facade.

-Additional photos can be seen on Brian Grogan's website on "Grogan smug mug photos" under the  Lynbrook FD file-


 

www.lynbrookfd.org

 

02/21/17 09:09

Copyright © 2013 Lynbrook Fire Department. All rights reserved.
Revised: 21 Feb 2017 09:09:48 -0500 .

 

WEB DESIGNS BY DAN GILMARTIN

Your internet consultant