ASP Web Pro

Quick Stop of Edmund St. House Fire

 Story and Photos by Ex-Captain Steve Grogan


On Tuesday evening September 9, 2008, the residents of 67 Edmund Street in Lynbrook left their house allegedly with candles burning upstairs in a second floor bedroom.  When they returned later they saw a burning glow and flames in that same upstairs bedroom.  Their house was on fire. 

At 10:10 PM, the Lynbrook Fire Department, under the command of Chief John O’Reilly, was dispatched to the scene.  Upon arrival, Chief O’Reilly broadcast a “Signal 10” for a working fire at the house. 

Vulcan Company was first on the scene and took the hydrant two doors away from the burning house.  They immediately stretched two attack hose lines to the front of the house and took one of the lines into the house.  Engine Company, and Tally-Ho Company, which had also arrived, assisted by taking the second hose line.  Truck Company responded with both ladder trucks setting both ladders to the roof area and ventilating the second floor.   Hose Company and the Emergency Medical Company stood-by.

Vulcan Company took the hose line up the stairs to the second floor where they were met with heavy smoke and flames coming from the fully involved bedroom.  They quickly moved into the burning room and attacked the fire.  The fire was contained to that one bedroom and the ceiling above.  It was brought under control in about 15 minutes but firefighters were at the scene for over an hour putting out additional pockets of fire in the bedroom walls and ceiling area.

At the request of Chief Reilly, the Rockville Centre Fire Department sent a FAST team and ambulance to the scene while the East Rockaway Fire Department sent a ladder, and the Lakeview Fire Department sent an engine, to stand-by to cover additional Lynbrook alarms.

No firefighters were injured fighting the fire.         

02/19/17 16:24

Copyright © 2008 Lynbrook Fire Department. All rights reserved.
Revised: 19 Feb 2017 16:24:06 -0500 .



Your internet consultant