Lynbrook Fire Department History
The history of the Lynbrook Fire Department begins in 1879.
Just 143 years after the American colonies witnessed the birth of the first officially recognized volunteer fire company, the Union Fire Fire Company in 1736 under Ben Franklin, Pearsall's Corners residents saw a need for a fire company to serve their expanding community. At that time, Rutherford B. Hayes was President, Theodore Roosevelt was Assistant Secretary of the Navy, and Thomas A. Edison had just invented the first practical incandescent light bulb. The trans-continental rail road had just been completed the year before. Henry Ford's Quadricycle, his first automobile prototype, was still a pipe dream, not to be realized for 17 more years. (President Hayes is at right, Edison at left.)
Rescue Hook, Ladder and Bucket Company No. 1, Lynbrook's first organized fire company, began protecting life and property in 1879.
The company started with humble beginnings, with a hand drawn ladder wagon. In 1884 they built Lynbrook's first fire house at 189 Earle Avenue. The original firehouse stood strong until damaged beyond repair, ironically by fire, in 2005. You can read more about Truck Company's history by visiting their History page.
On September 25, 1900, yet another group of concerned Lynbrook residents met in the quarters of Rescue Hook, Ladder & Bucket Co. No.1 to organize a "Fire Engine Company". The result of that meeting was the formation of Engine Company No. 1. Engine 1 shared the quarters of Hook & Ladder until 1907 when they moved into their first company-owned fire house on Atlantic Avenue. You can read more about Engine Company No. 1 by visiting their History page.
Recsue Hook, Ladder and Bucket Co. No. 1 and Engine Company No.1 joined together in 1901 to form the Lynbrook Fire Department. The Lynbrook Fire Department was incorporated two years later.
March 13, 1908, Lynbrook Hose Co. was formed. They were originally quartered in the Dobleer barn on Noble Street.The company purchased a hose wagon Their first engine with a pump was purchased in 1927. Later they moved to their own building on Blake Avenue.
On September 10th, 1910 Vulcan Chemical & Hose Company was organized, joining Hook & Ladder, Engine Company, and Hose Company as a company in the Lynbrook Fire Department. Again, Hook & Ladder provided space for the fledgling company until funds could be raised to build their own quarters on Denton Avenue. You can read the whole story by visiting Vulcan Company's History page.
Tally Ho's history begins in 1911. A fire at the Tally-Ho Inn which stood at what would now be Merrick Rd. and Horton Ave. The area was not at time part of Lynbrook. Community mem-bers formed Tally Ho Chemical & Engine Co. No. 3 in response. In 1918 Tally Ho became part of the Lynbrook Fire Department. Learn more about Tally Ho's colorful history by visiting their history page.
The Emergency Medical Company was formed in 1991 from the former Emergency Relief Squad of the Lynbrook Fire Department. Medical Co. is the primary emergency medical services provider for the Incorporated Village of Lynbrook. The Emergency Relief Squad and later Medical Company has been providing very high level EMS services to the residents of Lynbrook and continue to do so with unmatched dedication and professionalism.
Visit Medical Company's history page for more information.
The Lynbrook Fire Department continues it's long tradition of service the residents of the Village of Lynbrook as an all volunteer department, dedicated to providing fire protection services through a range of programs designed to protect the lives and property of the inhabitants from the adverse effects of fires, sudden medical emergencies, or exposure to dangerous conditions created by man or nature.
Sources of the above information "Lynbrook Legacy, The Story of our Community" by Steven J. Willner, Engine Co. No. 1, Our First Hundred Years, compiled by William Cosenza
Additional Reading- Looking for more information about Lynbrook's history?
|© Copyright 2013 - Lynbrook Fire Department, All rights reserved. Revised: 29 Aug 2013 06:04:34 -0500|